The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things

I finished The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things, by Ann Aguirre, on Jul 26, 2018.

Published by Feiwel and Friends, I got this book from a public library. It's a hardcover, written in prose. It's fiction.

I rated The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things an 8 out of 10 on how satisfying it was to read, a 6 out of 10 on its level of sophistication, and a 6 out of 10 on the quality of the writing.

I would not recommend it to a friend. I would not recommend it to a classmate. I would reread this.

Notes: This was really nice. Just like the last book I read, this was about a girl with dark secrets, but unlike that one, this was ultimately uplifting. It offered redemption, and even if that's slightly unlikely, it made for a wholly satisfying story. And another thing — since the main character had turned into a so-called good girl, she didn't make any of the stupid mistakes you could see were going to turn out badly. She didn't party aggressively, and she was enthusiastic about saving the environment. Actually, she was enthusiastic about everything, while still being somewhat cynical. Apart from the romantic portion of the book, she seemed real and relatable.

And then there's the romance. I think the cover actually plays up the romance involved. It's not the whole story, although it is a key part of it. I can't say how realistic that was, but the one thing I liked was how the main character realized that they were bound to break up, and that these sort of things don't always last. Most books gloss over that, and I liked that honesty.

The only thing I didn't like so much was the dialogue. I actually noticed a few mistakes, and some of the dialogue felt stilted and fake. Characters often used words and spoke in ways that were unlikely. But overall, I liked this book.

This on Goodreads.

Comments